Who should use this feature?
The manage duplicate applications feature automatically identifies duplicate applications based on a configurable similarity threshold and also supports manually setting applications as duplicates. Through a process of selecting a primary application and confirming duplicates, duplicates are archived, but can be made visible as part of the review process.
The process will not change the original application (e.g duplicate applications are not being merged nor data moved between applications)—so that any actions with managing duplicates are non-destructive, reversible, and changeable.
What is automatically identified as a duplicate application?
Applications with the same or very similar application name, in the same category.
Scanning for and confirming duplicates
If you are on a Premium plan, you'll find the Manage duplicates button at the bottom left of the Applications > Manage applications list view:
The first step on the Manage duplicates page is the Scan for duplicates button. Whilst scanning is quite quick, scanning is a computationally-intensive process, so is only done on demand.
The scan process compares every application with all other applications created before it for similarity, then displays a list of all identified duplicate applications.
The application created and submitted first is treated as the "primary" application. The primary can be changed. The primary application in an identified duplicate set is the one that will be the basis of reviewing.
The objective of a grant manager is then to work through sets of duplicates to:
- Compare applications if necessary (via the action overflow)
- Select a different primary if preferred (with the radio button)
- Set applications as Not a duplicate if that is the case (via the action overflow)
- Confirm and archive duplicates when satisfied
- ... and eventually empty the Manage duplicates page
- Only a submitted application can be set as primary (as that will be the reviewed application, and only submitted applications can be reviewed)
- A set of duplicates with no submitted applications (and therefore no primary) cannot be confirmed as duplicates
- The scan process will handle a maximum of 3,000 applications in a batch to keep things running smoothly. After Confirm + archive is done, running the scan again will continue scanning more applications, and it will not rescan applications already handled
- If an application name or category is changed after a confirm is done, the application will be flagged for scanning again with the next scan
- Adjacent to the scan button is a summary of when the last scan was done, how many applications remain to be scanned (if any), and whether applications need to be rescanned (e.g. after a change has been made)
Setting similarity threshold
At Settings > Applications > General, is a setting for the Minimum application similarity percentage, which can be set between 50% and 100%.
The default is set to 85%, and optimum is between 80% to 85%. Changing the setting after a scan has been done will necessitate scanning again. Any applications already confirmed as duplicates will remain so.
On the manager's view of each application is a summary of duplicates, where a grant manager can:
- Have an overview of a duplicate set
- Observe or change the primary
- See those that are confirmed as duplicates and archived
- Compare duplicate applications
Manually setting duplicates
It may be that the automatic scanning process does not identify a duplicate (e.g. because a applicants nickname is used, which substantially differs in spelling from their name used in other applications), in which case a grant manager can manually set applications as duplicates:
- Via the Applications > Manage applications list view
- In bulk using the Action drop-down
- Or acting on a single application via the overflow menu
The quantity of duplicate applications, and the content of duplicates may have a bearing on reviewing, so there are a couple of options to be able to display this information to reviewers. These options can be set on each score set, so can be treated differently for different stages of reviewing. To configure this:
- Navigate to Settings > Reviewing > Score sets
- Open your score set or configure a new one
- Open the Display tab
- Scroll to the Display box and select your desired option(s)
Based on these settings, a duplicates box is displayed on the associated reviewer view with the applicant name linking to a preview of that application, opening in another tab. All reviewing, scoring and commenting is against the primary application only.