In Good Grants, registration is required for applicants to create applications. With a new account, (self-)registration is active with the minimum required user fields. Additional user profile information can be collected by configuring fields of the 'user' resource type.
Activate/deactivate user registration
Grant managers may wish to disable user registration prior to applications officially opening or after applications close. The user registration form is in the middle column of the home page and can be deactivated by a grant manager by following these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > Users > Registration
- Deselect the Enable registration form on home page checkbox
- Click Save
To reactivate registration, simply select the Enable registration form on home page checkbox and Save.
Minimum required user fields
The self-registration form on the home page contains the minimum system fields required for user accounts of any type.
- First name
- Last name
- Email address and/or mobile number
Add user fields
User fields appear during the registration process, on the user's profile settings, and in user exports. To add user fields:
- Go to Settings > Users > Fields
- Click Add field
- Select User field resource and click Next
- Enter a field label
- Add a unique short title to help identify the field
Note: short titles are used to easily identify fields within the fields list view in Settings > Users > Fields as well as exports.
- If desired, add a field order value to control the order in which custom user fields appear to registrants
Note: configured user fields will appear after the minimum required user fields and cannot be moved above them.
- Set the field type best suited to the user content you wish to collect
- Choose whether this user field will persist across all future seasons or only apply to the current season; see: User fields and seasons for more information
- In the 'Roles' section, you can set the field to only appear for certain role registration forms if needed, selecting Read and Write to give access and Required only if completing the field is mandatory
- Under 'Home page registration', you can set whether the field is displayed on step one (the home page registration form) or on a subsequent step two registration page (a follow-up page after a user completes step one)
Tip: we recommend placing fields on step two, as once a user completes step one their information is saved in the system, regardless of whether they complete step two. You should only include user fields in step one if they are to record acknowledgement of privacy conditions or terms of service before this response is saved.only required fields can display in step one of registration.
- In the 'Data protection' section, choose whether standard, elevated, or maximum protection is necessary; see Data protection on fields explained to learn more
Once saved, the field is immediately functional on the registration form in the current season. If a user has registered for your program prior to the field's configuration, they will be prompted to complete the field the next time they access the platform.
When a user navigates to your program for the first time, or after clearing their cookies and cache, they will be presented with a 'Cookies in use' banner (shown below). To comply with global privacy regulations like GDPR the user should select their cookie preferences before continuing. To learn more, see our guide: What does the 'Cookies in use' banner mean?
3rd party authentication, SAML, and single sign-on
Grant managers have the ability to allow users to register and log into their platform using social media accounts like Twitter, Google, and LinkedIn. For clients on the Enterprise plan, users are able to register and log into the platform through a corporate single sign-on (SSO) portal. When enabling 3rd party authentication, there is an option to disable traditional registration on the home page. These settings can be enabled via Settings > Users > Registration. For more information see our guide: 3rd party authentication.