Sometimes a reviewer may wish to be excused from reviewing a particular entry if, for example, there's a conflict of interest, they are associated with the applicant in some capacity, or they are also an applicant and you don't want them reviewing their own applications.
There are two options for a reviewer to not score an application: they can abstain or be recused. Abstaining requires action from the reviewer while recusal requires action from the grant manager.
A reviewer can choose to remove themselves from reviewing a particular application provided this option is enabled in the score set.
- Go to Reviewing > Score sets
- From the Display tab, select the Reviewers may abstain checkbox
When this is enabled, reviewers will see an option to Abstain from reviwing with each application:
Ticking the box will disable inputting scores in the scoring criteria. If a reviewer abstains from scoring, they are not taken into account when calculating the average score (since they have not actually scored).
A grant manager may want to remove a reviewer from reviewing a particular application or a series of applications. This can be done, by the program manager, from each individual entry or via the Reviewing > Assignments view. When a reviewer is recused from one or more entries, they are completely unaware and are not notified in any way.
Recusal via an application: Applications > Manage applications
- Go to Applications > Manage applications
- Click on an application name to view its info page
- From the score set matrix, click on the overflow menu to the right of the reviewer you want to recuse and then click the Recuse button
Recusal via Assignments: Reviewing > Assignments
- Go to Reviewing > Assignments
- Search for the reviewer you wish to recuse
Tip: use your Advanced search options on this page to filter by category, reviewer, tag, etc. to more easily recuse reviewers in bulk.
- Select the checkbox associated with the application/applications where you want to recuse the reviewer.
- Click the Recuse button from the top of the page to recuse in bulk
These actions will only affect the applications from which the reviewer has been recused. They can continue reviewing other applications that have been assigned to them.