Configuring a category within Good Grants is a straightforward process that can be as simple, or as detailed, as you need. Below you'll find the steps necessary to create a category as well as a breakdown of the options you'll encounter along the way. You might create categories for the different grants, funding streams, or granting cycles included in your program.
Create a category
- Open the Manage workspace, navigate to Applications, and click Edit form
Note: for accounts utilising multiple forms, select the form you wish to edit from the drop-down that appears.
- Hover your cursor over the Category drop-down and click the +
- In the configuration tray, assign a Category name
- If desired, add a Description to provide your applicants with instructions or category information
Tip: category descriptions support Markdown formatting, allowing you to add bold, italics, links, or more.
- A Shortcode will automatically be generated using the first 32 characters of your field's label and must be unique
Note: each application is given a numeric ID unique to the account and has the shortcode appended (e.g. 123-AB) so that when tracking, arranging, and managing applications, you have an easy handle on the application's category.
- If your category should be available to applicants, select the Category is active checkbox; leaving this option unchecked prevents applicants from viewing or creating submissions for this category (see: Prevent application creation in a category)
- When finished, click Save
Additional configuration options
When configuring a category, the 'Images' section allows you to upload category sponsor logos
- The logos appear in a vertical column to the far right when creating/managing an application as seen in the screenshot above
- Strictly speaking, category images can be anything, they don't have to be sponsor logos
- A heading (such as "Category sponsors") can also be defined to display at the top of the column of images
- Setting a maximum image width constrains the width images are displayed at
- If images are larger than the maximum width, they are automatically downsized
- If images are smaller than the maximum, they remain at their original size
- The 'Advanced' section allows you to create an optional maximum number of applications per applicant within this category
- An Application name label can be assigned that is unique to this category, i.e. Grantee's name
- You can choose to pre-fill the applicant's name into the application name line
Divisions are entirely optional but are used to break a category down into smaller groups of applications for assignment to reviewers, via panels. Your program's applications are automatically and randomly assigned into the divisions that you've created.
- Divisions are available for categories with fewer or odd numbered applications. In these cases, the platform will work to distribute applications evenly, but some divisions may hold more or less applications than others.
- If you change the number of divisions at a later stage, reassignment may be necessary
- Increasing the number of divisions does not require reassignment, additional divisions are empty and new applications go there
- Decreasing the number of divisions necessitates reassignment
- If reviewing applications has already started, reassignment will result in stray scores as some applications are inevitably assigned to a different division and different reviewers. It will be necessary to force scores to recalculate
- Reassignment can be forced at any stage by checking Reassign applications to divisions on save, and saving the category
- Allow for a PDF packing slip to be available for submitted applications. For more information, contact us