Configuring a category within Good Grants is a straightforward process that can be as simple, or as detailed, as you need. Below you'll find the steps necessary to create a category as well as a breakdown of the options you'll encounter along the way. You might create categories for the different grants, funding streams, or granting cycles included in your program.
Create a category
From the form editor
- Navigate to Applications > Manage applications and click Edit form
Note: for accounts utilising multiple forms, select the form you wish to edit from the drop-down that appears.
- Hover your cursor over the Category drop-down and click the +
- In the configuration tray, assign a Category name
- If necessary, select a Parent category from the drop-down (see Create sub-categories for more information)
From the Settings menu
- Go to Settings > Applications > Categories
- When you click New category, you're taken to the 'Details' tab with the current season selected by default
- Setting a Parent category is optional; see: Create sub-categories
- Category name is the label displayed across the system in relation to the category
- The Description is displayed in the first tab your users see when creating an application and updates as the application swaps category selection--the intention of the description is to provide an overview of the category and application criteria in enough detail that the applicant can easily evaluate if it is the right category for them to enter
- Shortcode is optional but is recommended--it's helpful as a reference handle for applications. Use the shortest code you can to uniquely identify each category. Each entry is given a numeric ID unique to the account and has the shortcode appended (e.g. 123-AB) so that when tracking, arranging, and managing applications, you have an easy handle on the application's category.
- Selecting the Category is active checkbox means that the category can be entered during an active application round. Leaving this unchecked will prevent users from creating an application into this category.
- If Chapters are being used, in the right column you can set the chapters in which the category is available
When configuring a category, the 'Images' tab allows you to upload category sponsor logos
- The logos appear in a vertical column to the far right when creating/managing an application as seen in the screenshot above
- Strictly speaking, category images can be anything, they don't have to be sponsor logos
- A heading (such as "Category sponsors") can also be defined to display at the top of the column of images
- Setting a maximum image width constrains the width images are displayed at
- If images are larger than the maximum width, they are automatically downsized
- If images are smaller than the maximum, they remain at their original size
- The Advanced tab allows you to create an optional maximum number of applications per applicant within this category
- An Application name label can be assigned that is unique to this category, i.e. Grantee's name
- You can choose to pre-fill the applicant's name into the application name line
Divisions are entirely optional but are used to break a category down into smaller groups of applications for assignment to reviewers, via panels.
To configure divisions, simply follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to Settings > Applications > Categories
2. Select the category that you would like to add divisions to
3. Open the Divisions tab and set your number of desired divisions
4. Click Save
Your program's applications are automatically and randomly assigned into the divisions that you've created.
- Divisions are available for categories with fewer or odd numbered applications. In these cases, the platform will work to distribute applications evenly, but some divisions may hold more or less applications than others.
- If you change the number of divisions at a later stage, reassignment may be necessary
- Increasing the number of divisions does not require reassignment, additional divisions are empty and new applications go there
- Decreasing the number of divisions necessitates reassignment
- If reviewing applications has already started, reassignment will result in stray scores as some applications are inevitably assigned to a different division and different reviewers. It will be necessary to force scores to recalculate
- Reassignment can be forced at any stage by checking Reassign applications to divisions on save, and saving the category
- Allow for a PDF packing slip to be available for submitted applications. For more information, contact us