Social sharing buttons are placed in various locations throughout the Good Grants platform to encourage social sharing of your program. By default, five social sharing icons are displayed wherever social sharing buttons are placed.
Which social networks/tools and their order are not fixed but depend on the individual's social media behaviour. The expected most relevant options being automatically displayed, in order to maximise the likelihood of engagement.
If you'd like to control which social networks/tools are displayed and their order, you can do so by creating a free account with AddThis (more on this below).
Activate/deactivate social sharing
- Go to Settings > Communications > Social
- Select the Activate social sharing buttons checkbox
- Add a default sharing message, share title, description, and share image
To deactivate social sharing, deselect the Activate social sharing buttons checkbox before saving.
Configuration options explained
Default sharing message
The default sharing message is passed to social networks that support seeding a message that the user can otherwise write or edit themselves. It's a good idea to write something that you would like your users to say when sharing a message about your program. Most commonly used by Twitter and Tumblr.
A share title is passed to social networks that support a title with the share. Most commonly used by Facebook, LinkedIn, and email.
The description is passed to social networks that support a description with the share. This also doubles as your program's SEO description in search results. This is most commonly used by Facebook, Tumblr, and search engines.
A share image is passed to social networks that support an image share. Facebook recommends images of 1200 x 630 pixels (at least) for best display on high-resolution devices. However, bear in mind that the image will be resized down to 470 x 246 pixels for preview display in Facebook news feeds and 506 x 253 pixels in Twitter feeds. Don't upload an image less than 200 x 200 pixels as they may not be used by social networks. Most commonly used by Facebook, LinkedIn and Tumblr.
AddThis profile ID
Connecting your program to AddThis is optional. If you use AddThis for social analytics you can put your profile ID in here to track statistics and manage the buttons displayed. Please follow the instructions below if you are using the AddThis tool.
What is used by social networks?
- Facebook will use the Share title, Description, and Image
- LinkedIn will use the Share title and Image
- Twitter will use the Default sharing message
- Tumblr will use the Default sharing message, Description, and Image.
- Email will use the Share title
Here's an example of what the result looks like in a Facebook newsfeed when a Good Grants program is shared:
- Log into your AddThis account
- In the 'Select a Tool' area, choose Share Buttons
- Choose the Inline tool type and click Continue
- Under 'Sharing Services' choose the Selected by You radio button
- Add or remove your desired social networks using the tools provided in 'Select Sharing Services'
- In the next tab, Design, customise your view using the available options
- If you'd like to display the share counts, open the next tab, Share Counters, and select your desired options
- Should you decide that you'd like to hide social sharing on desktop or mobile devices, this can be configured in the next tab, Position
- In the last tab, Behavior, add your Award Force program home page URL to the 'Show on Only These Pages' box
- Click Activate Tool
- At the top of the page, click Profile Settings
- Copy the ID found under the 'General' heading
- Open your Award Force account and navigate to Settings > Communications > Social
- Paste your AddThis ID into the AddThis profile ID field