Good Grants has a plagiarism detection integration with Copyleaks which will review content submitted by applicants to ensure originality.
Copyleaks pricing is based on the volume of scanning done. They sell monthly subscriptions for scanning "credits", or credits can be purchased in a prepaid volume. You can get a Copyleaks free trial account with 25 credits per month if you want to test it out.
- Create an account via https://copyleaks.com/
- Create an Access key in Copyleaks via this page https://api.copyleaks.com/academicapi by checking the box next to Key 1
Setting up for plagiarism detection
Once you've got a Copyleaks account you're ready to set things up in Good Grants.
- In the Manage workspace, go to Settings > Developers > Integrations
- Click New integration
- Name the integration
- Select Copyleaks from the App drop-down
- Click Save
- Type in the email address of your Copyleaks account and the Access key you generated in your Copyleaks account
- Click Save again
What gets scanned?
Fields of type Text area (multi-line) and File upload (single) have an option to Scan for plagiarism:
All attachments of the following types are scanned for plagiarism in addition to files uploaded via a File upload field that is marked to be scanned for plagiarism:
For further detail, refer to the Copyleaks documentation.
The maximum file size Copyleaks will scan is 25MB. It is recommended to ensure a 25MB cap on attachments and file uploads that need to be scanned for plagiarism.
There are two ways to request a scan: for an individual application; or in bulk for the whole season of applications.
- From the Manage workspace, go to Applications
- Click the three dots associated with an entry
- Select Scan for plagiarism
- In the Manage workspace, go to Applications
- Click on an application
- Click the Scan now link
Scanning all applications in a season in one bulk batch can be initiated as follows:
- From the Manage workspace, navigate to Settings > Developers > Integrations
- Click your Copyleaks configuration
- Press Initiate scan...
This will let you know how many files, fields and applications will be scanned, and what your current Copyleaks credit balance is.
- Confirm to start scanning with the Scan button
Applications to be scanned are sent to a queue, and completing all scans can take some time depending on volume, and how busy the Copyleaks service might be.
If you run out of credits, or if there is some problem with the scan, the batch scan will stop. After purchasing more credits, or addressing any problem, you can reinitiate the scan. Only applications that have not already been scanned will be queued again for scanning.
If a scanned application is edited, the scan status will be marked as "Out-of-date". Another bulk scan, or an individual scan will rescan the whole application.
The scan results are shown in the application preview. Each field, file and attachment that has been scanned has a % suspect score.
Plagiarism visibility for reviewers
The % suspect scores can optionally be made visible to reviewers via the score set:
- In the Manage workspace, go to Reviewing > Score sets
- Click the score set
- Open the 'Display' tab
- Further down the left column, in the Display panel, you will see a checkbox option % suspected plagiarism